Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Grouse Slippers


Mum found the Grouse Slippers on Ravelry that I thought I would give a go. One completed (and my first ever knitted sock/slipper) and one left. 

I learnt that to stockinette stitch in the round is just to knit from the wrong side (or purl on the right!) So simple. Unfortunately, I learnt this after knitting the back of the heel in not in-the-round-stockinette. Even more unfortunate was the brain fart I had when I thought that stockinette was knit one purl one. And I'm not talking about rows. Of course I know that this is a rib stitch and I'm still not sure how I managed to convince myself that it wasn't. But actually I'm not too disappointed by that because the thick ribbing makes for quite a nice detail down the back of the foot. 


Pattern was simple really and only took me about two working days and one night off to complete but there were a few points in the pattern where I wished Lusianne had gone into more detail.

As an inexperienced sock knitter I really didn't have much of an idea on how to construct one. I needed a good deal of help from Dana but together we worked it out. I knitted the main length of the foot a bit long so I had to rush the final decrease. Instead of knitting a row in between the decreasing rows I just decreased on all. This left me with a slightly more angular toe than I would have liked but by turning it the right way round it smoothed out some. I'm not too bothered by it though and I've learnt my lesson!


I'm wearing the one slipper now and it's really quite toasty! These would make such a fantastic knitted gift.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Well done you! They look adorable but you'd better get knitting that 2nd one or your foot will get cold, especially in this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I've been swapping it from one foot to another!

    ReplyDelete