Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Spinny

For my birthday this year Ben and a couple of family members chipped in to buy me a new spinning wheel. My first one is an antique and I learnt recently is probably handmade and more suited to spinning flax and linen. It all gets fairly technical and long winded here but it all culminates in a lovely Ashford Traditional (not new but new to me) coming home to stay with me.


The place where I bought her from teach classes and as I'd only had one informal lesson for my first wheel I signed up straight away for the beginners class. So my Saturday mornings have a new addition - for two hours I sit, spin, chat and learn.

This past Saturday was my second lesson and I had managed to stress myself out in the morning about housework (of all the silly things to stress about) and then the ridiculous Sydney traffic made me late and I was all hot and flustered. And all it took for me to relax was to sit outside, drop my shoulders and spin. It works wonders, this spinning.

After my first lesson I bought 200g of a lovely natural chocolate brown merino to spin. It's all spun and plied and after I wash it it's going to become a (lumpy) beanie for Ben.


I've also gotten to the end of spinning the singles of a handpainted merino that I bought through an Etsy seller; Jumbuk Julie. They are different colours than I am used to buying/knitting with but I'm really keen to see what they become. I'm going to find a cream merino to spin and ply it with. This should mean more yardage to work with and the lovely spots of colour won't muddy themselves like they would if I spin them together. That's the idea anyway, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment