Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

travel knitting

The postman was kind to me last week. Here are some goodies that arrived:


3 gorgeous braids of Merino tops as a late birthday present from Ben's mum and two fresh new bobbins ready to fill with goodness.

Ben and I went down to Canberra for the weekend for a birthday and the whole way down I was wishing I had a travelling wheel. Truthfully I knew that I'd not have any time to spin but it felt a little sad leaving these beauties home alone all weekend. Turns out they were happy sitting in the spinning basket getting to know the other fleece. I've got some great greasy fleece that I'm carding myself in there too... So much to spin!


Canberra turned on the beautiful weather for us; we walked, Poppy chased ducks and swans and then rolled in their poo (hence the bath photo below), we farmers marketed with Mum and had breakfasts and coffee with our Dads.


I did manage to knit almost a full beanie on the trip back to Sydney - I've been commissioned to make a beanie for a 4 year old girl and after casting on three times (despite the patterns saying they were written for children, these first attempts were so big that Ben could wear them) I decided to make up the pattern myself. Not too tricky considering it's just a plain stockinette stitch hat but I had to think a bit about decreases. I initially planned to decrease at the beginning and end of the rows and I got through a few in the car when I realised that they were creating big ladders down the sides of the beanie. I ripped back...


... and did some Actual Research. I got there in the end - decreasing around the whole hat to make a nice little swirl at the top and cast off last night. I've now got to make a garter stich bow to attached to one side and matching scarf. I love the idea of a sending my hand knits off into the world to be worn by people I don't know!



No comments:

Post a Comment